Translate

Tuesday 17 November 2015

3 French Hens


I bought a this Penny Black stamp set last year but I didn't get it in time for  last Christmas so now I have painted in all the different images. 
Each is an individual covering the 12 days of Christmas.  I painted with my Peerless watercolours. Then I added bits of bling here and there and in some instances I have added glossy accents to  just little bits.

They are so cute but they are small so I spent the best part of a day trying to decide just what I wanted to do re layout. That is why there is only one today.

Thought these would make a great gift set for someone else to use, but also wanted to put a sentiment on each card as well as the little saying that goes with each stamp.


I decided to cut out the image in a square shape and used two different dies as I don't have the square stitched die set. 
Here I have used an old die set that cuts small squares and the stitches are from another set of dies I bought that I looked at and didn't research properly - (A) They don't cut squares they just cut the stitch marks and (B) they are very small. 
This one I have used is the biggest. Lesson learnt, look for sizes and measure up on a piece of paper and check all written to make sure they do what you want. If its too cheap to be true thats cause your not reading and checking properly lol.



After I cut out the little square because its watercolour paper it is a different white to the card base so I decided to bling it up with some red glitter cardstock.
Another lesson learnt I cut out twelve of these pieces of card stock. By the time I finished I had red glitter everywhere, stuck in my cutter and the blade that had been fairly new was now blunt and leaving little fluffy bits hanging off my white card bases. What a waste, time for a new blade. So I have put the old one aside in a little zip lock bag labeled 'for glitter cardstock'. 

Anyhooo then it was what to do with the little title that comes with each image and add a sentiment. Long story shortened here I ended up deciding to go with this design and feel it works. After I stamped the little title I hand cut out then added some silver pen ink to the number.

Added the tag with the stamped sentiment. Added wee piece of Christmas ribbon and a great big red gem to hid the hole I had cut into the tag which was way too big for the tag size.

All disasters fell into place and I am happy with this one. So hopefully the other 11 will follow suit.

I would like to enter this in:
even have Penny Black stamps for once, even though you can use 
any stamps as long as they are Christmas theme.



My Favourite Hobby is making cards and reading. As long as I am doing something I am happy. Love colouring and painting images for cards and have a fold chock a block full of images ready to go and always have a book on hand. You never know when you might have to wait somewhere so a book should always be handy.

Like to thank the DT's at 'As You Like it Challenge' for picking my card in the last challenge as Top 3 Picks.

I hope you enjoyed your visit and come again soon.



12 comments:

lostinpaper said...

What a fun fun card Aileen!

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

How cute! I bought that set last year too and have yet to use it...... the way things are going I have to wait another year ....

Anonymous said...

such a cute card aileen! i love the glitter paper and your vivid colouring of the sweet image. thank you so much for sharing another of your creative projects with us at penny black and more!
linda

Ruth said...

I love how you tell us what happens when you make cards - sometimes I see other peoples' and wonder if they ever make mistakes like me! I love your little French Hen on the glitter card - that is super sparkly. I blunted my cutting blade on water colour cardstock. Should have done what you did and kept it for that purpose instead of changing it and it happening again! Thank you for sharing - and for your win. Well deserved :) xx

Anonymous said...

Cute little card. Love reading your stories - it makes me feel like my card making is in the "normal" range :).
Sometimes (when I remember!) I use a craft knife, metal ruler and cutting mat to cut my glitter card stock. It saves the blade.
Congrats on your win.

brenda said...

A lovely creation for our Christmas theme Aileen, many thanks for joining in at Penny Black and More challenge this month.

B x

Marybeth said...

Hi ,Aileen ! I love that little guy image and your beautiful coloring! The red glitter cardstock is perfect behind it!
Yes, I am very blessed to design for Poppystamps,the dies are amazing ...just need more time in the day to use them. Like you, I also love to read and my 12 grandchildren take up a bit of time :)

Zw@@n said...

Fun card, Aileen. I love that cute little hen. Thank you for joining us at As You Like It. Luv, Wilma

Linby said...

What a great card - makes for a really lovely Christmas card. I too have come unstuck with not reading properly and getting a die that leaves stitch marks around the aperture not the die cut!
Thanks for sharing at Penny Black & More this month.
Lynn x
DT

Kim Heggins said...

Oh my....this is just adorable! I love your sweet hen.

Deepti said...

Such a fun card and that image is hilarious :)

Vicki Dutcher said...

HA! He looks like he is ready to party! Cute card - Thanks for joining in at JUGS!